LilySlim

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Soooooo Excited :)

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

As you can tell by my title, I am very excited at the moment. My books that I ordered about 2 months ago have finally arrived. I got Believe It, Be It by Ali Vincent - First ever female Biggest Loser (Season 5 USA) and I also got Women, Food and God, I bought this book because I have only ever heard great things about it. I can't wait to start reading them. I will definitely read Ali's first because she is one of my weight loss idols. I just love her, she is so positive about everything she does and she just has a way of making you feel like you can achieve anything you set your mind to.


Women, Food and God is about your relationship with food. Geneen Roth, the author, "urges us to pay attention to what we truly need - which cannot be found in a supermarket." I am not sure, but I am guessing it's more about our mental journey with food rather than the physical one.

I have never heard a bad thing about this book and everyone that has read it has raved about how fantastic it is. I don't know whether this is a good or bad thing though cause I know when someone raves about a movie and I go and see it, I am usually a little disappointed because you are expecting this awesome, fantastic movie and it just doesn't deliver to those expectations. I find it better if someone says it's just OK or worth a look, something more general so then there are no false hopes. I can't wait to read it though and find out for myself, but Women Food and God will just have to wait, because Ali will be first.

I have just finished reading Ruby Gettinger's book - Ruby's Diary. Reflections on all I've lost and gained. I really enjoyed reading this book and I learned a few things from Ruby. One of my favourite quotes from Ruby is "We are not defined by our size or by a number on a scale, we are defined by what lives inside." Ruby started her weight loss journey at a staggering 716 pounds, that 324 kilos, she should have been house bound, but her love for life and living it is what kept her up and moving.

Ruby has been on quite a few television shows since appearing on the Lifestyle network and has often been asked why she just didn't have surgery, her reply was " I wanted to lose weight the old-fashioned way to prove to myself that I could do it. This is about me learning to eat right, exercise right and get myself healthy. It's about me having the understanding and experience to keep the weight off once it comes off." Ruby hasn't given up and taken the easy way out, she is determined to turn her life around and get healthy rather than just sitting down and waiting to die. When the book was finished, Ruby was down to 333 pounds, so around 150 kilos, that is such an achievement. Ruby is an amazing woman and a true inspiration to anybody, not just someone on a weight loss journey.

1 comment:

  1. I love Ruby!! I was in Savannah twice this year and was hoping I would bump into her. Hehe. (I didn't, sadly) I should get her book as you said was good. :o) I hope you enjoy your other two books!

    ReplyDelete

Of Possible Interest

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...