LilySlim

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

The Exploding chicken

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Good morning all!  I hope everyone slept well in that hideous 40C (104F) heat.  It was still 39C at 8.30 pm last night, but luckily I put the "hair conditioner machine" aka, air conditioner on so, in the end I needed my quilt - it was wonderful.

*Workout*

This morning on my way to the pool it was 21C (71F) and that was at 5.30 am - not nice.  At least today is only going to be around 34C, I can handle that a lot better.  Considering the heat, the pool was the best place for a workout today.  According to Fat Secret, I burned 720 calories in the hour, I think I would have died burning that many in the heat.  The heat and I do not get along!

I did struggle a little today though, but I think that's because I have started to push myself passed / past (which one?) a comfortable pace.  I can feel my arms burning at my slightly faster pace and when I do some "sprints", I have to either stop or slow right down to catch my breath.  My time isn't any faster, but that's because my pace is all over the place.  I don't mind because I can work on my time and one day I will be faster - I'm not talking Ian Thorpe fast, but maybe cutting 5 - 10 mins. off my time.  I think that will be my ultimate swimming goal :)

*Breakfast*

After the pool, the heat had risen by a few degrees up to 24C (75F) and I just couldn't face anything warm so I pulled out my trusty blender and made something like this -


This isn't the smoothie that I made this morning, but it looked pretty much the same - green.  The smoothie in the picture is the Strawberry Swamp Beast, which is nice, but today's creation is (so far) my all time favourite.  It was delicious, cold, icy and tasted like pineapple.  It was the perfect breakfast for a warm morning.  I was enjoying it so much that I didn't even get a photo.  

Pineapple Delight  
(named by Hayden, he's 12 and liked it)

Into the mix went :

  • 250ml Cocobella Pure Coconut Water with Pineapple (74 calories)
  • 112g frozen Banana (100 calories)
  • 56g frozen Pineapple (27 calories)
  • 26g Baby Spinach leaves (about a handful) (6 calories)
  • TOTAL calories - 207

I bought the pineapple fresh, cut it all up into cubes and froze it in an airtight container.  The little pieces were like ice cubes and made the smoothie so icy - it was pretty close to a slushy and the pineapple flavour was basically all I could taste.  I will definitely be making this one again.  I really don't think the coconut water with the pineapple contributed much to the flavour, but we will see cause all I have left is plain coconut water.

*The Exploding Chicken*

Last night as I was heating up the left over chicken I could hear some popping sounds.  This is fairly normal when re-heating meat so I wasn't too worried and then the pops got louder and louder.  I opened the microwave to find a BBQ chicken breast in pieces.  It was only 1 breast and I only put it in for a minute, but the damage was rather substantial - my son and I both just burst out laughing.  

I jigsawed the chicken back together and covered it in some extra sauce before serving it up with parmesan potatoes.  It killed me having to put the oven on, but at least it was just long enough to melt the parmesan cheese under the grill.

Last nights dinner was inspired by Pinterest.  I made this.......

Crockpot BBQ Chicken from stick a fork in it

To make the sauce -
  • 1 jar (250 - 275 ml) of BBQ sauce
  • 1/4 cup Vinegar
  • 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
  • There are some chilli flakes as well, but I don't use them
  • I make this much for 2 chicken breasts

and these.............

Parmesan Potatoes from Iowa Girl Eats

To make the potatoes -
  • Pierce each potato with a fork
  • Place potatoes on a paper towel in the microwave
  • Cook on high till soft - don't forget to turn them
  • The time will depend on how many potatoes you have
  • Cut them in half
  • Sprinkle with parmesan cheese
  • Melt and brown the cheese under the grill

I didn't have any chicken, but it got rave reviews from those who did eat it.  The potatoes I have been making for a while now and everyone loves them - even the kids.  I have even started making one to have on the side with a salad.  I am thinking about trying out a sweet potato instead.  Potatoes and diabetes don't mix well.

Both of these are so easy and quick to make, apart from the 6 hours in the crockpot, but making the sauce takes about 2 mins. and the potatoes take about 10 mins.  I can't complain about that - 12 mins. hard kitchen work time and your done :)

2 comments:

  1. I used to make a smoothie similar to that only the fruit wasn't frozen - 1 cup pineapple, 1 or 2 bananas, 2 spinach leaves, 2 cos lettuce leaves - it is delicious. K makes one with just about any and all the fruit that we have in the house when she is making it - that can be good or not depending on what is around !!!!

    ReplyDelete

Of Possible Interest

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...